Wednesday, March 6, 2013

different is beautiful


if i haven't always felt the most confident or positive about myself, one thing i have always liked is that i'm different.


i would consider myself to be a free-spirited person, a non-conformist, if you will.

sure, i will have some trendy, cute clothes, but you will never see me in an outfit of skinnies, booties, with a peplum shirt and a scarf.  often i wear solid colors and prefer tanks, jeans, and birkenstocks; homemade jewelry, braids, and patchouli.  don't get me wrong, i love to shop for clothes and new finds, but i've always been the type to use these pieces in my own style.

i can definitely be a girly-girl because of my love for hair & makeup, but i'm far from it on the inside.  i'd rather go thrifting than shop in a coach store, and i'd rather spend hours in a bookstore than browsing the racks of neiman marcus.  while a stroll down rodeo drive is fun, often times i feel uncomfortable in such high-end places and also rarely find anything i actually like there. 

growing up i always had more guy friends than girl friends; still do actually.  for some reason i get along a lot better with the opposite gender.  my sisters are my best girl friends and while i have a lot of other close ones, i can't say i have a 'best friend' outside of my sisters.  i know other girls are like this and i often wonder why this is. i could honestly associate with only family & a few friends for the rest of my life and totally be happy with that.

naturally, my way of thinking has really changed as i've grown older and sometimes i find myself becoming more lenient, straying from the norms of society and life.  i don't really want to live under anyone else's control or rules or told how i need to live my life in ways of living, spending, thinking, and believing.  of course there have to be some rules in which we live by, but for the most part, why can't we be free to do what we choose.

my life is lived by chasing dreams and living my own life.  i've been told my whole life that there's something different about me in many ways - the way i look, the way i talk, the clothes i wear, the way my hair or makeup is done, the way my words come out wrong half of the time, the ideas i have, and so on.  i love it.

what makes you unique?


post signature

4 comments:

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Thank you for linking up to The Great Blog Train! We loved having you! And you helped us have a successful third run down the tracks!

Helen@blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com
Angie@godsgrowinggarden.com
Marci@stonecottageadventures.com

Darlene Nemeth said...

Hi, found you at The Great Blog Train. You have a very nice blog.

Rach said...

Oh my, I feel like I could've written so much of this post. Especially the bits about thrift store shopping (and not always wearing the "trendy" stuff), book store browsing, and sister-as-best-friends. :) I'm less of a free spirit, though. Somewhat hippy for sure, but I have a hard time with change so spontaneity doesn't come naturally to me. It's something my husband has helped bring out in me, but still not my norm. :) Loved reading this. Felt a spark of kindred spirits there. :)

Janna Renee said...

I definitely think you are unique and fabulous! People are surprised at my random knowledge (I can speak on pretty much any subject-somehow I have a ton of useless facts in my head), that I'm older than I look, and that my boobs are real...I kid, I kid.