Friday, January 4, 2013

nice to meet you, new year.



I really don't like the fact that it takes a brand new year to make people change their ways, and although I make goals each year that are usually forgotten or lost by March, here I am again setting new ones for myself.  Goals are good; resolutions are not. 

The year has basically started off like any other year or old day it seems, so it will be harder to make myself do these things because I don't feel any different than I did on say, Dec. 31 or July 8, for example. 

There isn't much to my list, but there is so much I need and want to do that I have to do it in small bits.  Here's to hoping I can stick to my guns and get these babies accomplished. 

1.  Here's the most cliche one of all, but seriously, workout or exercise at least 4 days a week.  Working 3 twelve-hour shifts a week makes it nearly impossible to get any form of exercise in on those days, so it's on my days off that I have to work out.  We have actually made a workout sheet that lists certain exercises to do on certain days, so I think if we have a schedule, it will make me more apt to comply.  Timeframe: by the end of March.

2.  Work at least 2 extra shifts a month.  We want to go on a nice trip for our 5 year anniversary this year, a getaway to Vegas in June after my sister graduates, our annual trip to Florida in the fall, and there are smaller, but costly, trips mixed in there as well.  Working those extra shifts can bring in an extra few hundred bucks in each month so I really need to, if my body will allow me.  Timeframe: by the end of April.

3.  Pay off at least one school loan and my car.  We have about $100,000 in school loans that are killing us.  It literally makes me panic to think of this.  Having that education is a must, but the cost is ridiculous at the same time.  I don't know where I think we are going to get this extra money, but we have to pay a chunk of it down.  My car is maybe 2 years from being paid off, but I need to get it done because we are in desperate need of another now.  Timeframe: End of year. This will definitely take more than a few months. 

4.  Get control of my anxieties and scatterbrained ways.  I've had anxiety since I was little, but it's been bad {on and off} since I was about 20, so for a little over 10 years now.  It impacts all aspects of my life: at home, work, vacations, when I should be relaxing, etc...We all worry, but if you've never truly experienced anxiety for prolonged time, you don't understand what it feels like and probably think I'm nuts.  I rely far too much on my medication and just want to live a worry-free life. Timeframe: Summer. 

So there it is.  A small list.  Although I have a lot more that I want to do, these are the most important to me right now.  What are yours?  Are they similar to mine or completely different? 

7 comments:

Tristan Paige {at} Sunshine! said...

I need to work on my anxiety, too. It's rotting my brain away. I have yet to take any medication for it, but I need to get it under control. I just ordered a book on dealing with difficult people... I hope it helps!

Jenn @ What You Make It said...

Small lists are good! I feel the same way about my anxiety - I let it take over sometimes. And of course I need to work out more too!

Liz said...

Great list and I completely agree- goals are great, resolutions, not so much..I have to remember this! I wish you all the best in keeping up with these- you are awesome and they will fall into place I am sure
Happy new year!
-Liz

Courtney said...

Great list! I have anxiety as well and have definitely been working to try & get it under control - it's hard though!

Brooke said...

Are you a nurse? Just wondering because of the 12 hour shifts!


=) Brooke

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck! I have struggled with debilitating anxiety for a long time, too, and it is impossible for people to understand if they've not experienced it. Hope things work out and if you find anything that helps, let me know! :)

Rach said...

I hear you on the student debt thing. We started really tackling it a few years ago and are finally nearly done paying it off. It meant some lifestyle changes, but has been SO worth it! Good luck, friend!