Saturday, December 31, 2011

Picking up the pace

I am a walker, not a runner, but I would love to be able to run anything further than 0.1 miles.  It's pathetic, really.  I am not sure what my deal is, but I just cannot run for the life of me.  I always hear so many great things about running, like it not only gets a person in shape, but how good it is for the mind.  So, I ran across this cut out I had in my planner and decided I am going to try this out.  With the new year and new resolution fresh in my mind, I think I'll start this soon. 


This is a 10-week walk-to-run plan.  Each exercise is done three times a week on nonconsecutive days.  For weeks one through eight, do three to four sets of each exercise.   Begin and end each workout session with a five-minute walk.  If you are one that isn't even a walker, start out by walking for 30 minutes three times a week for four weeks before you start this plans.

  • WEEK 1:  Walk for five minutes; run for two minutes
  • WEEK 2:  Walk for five minutes; run for two minutes
  • WEEK 3:  Walk for four minutes; run for three minutes
  • WEEK 4:  Walk for four minutes; run for three minutes
  • WEEK 5:  Walk for three minutes; run for four minutes
  • WEEK 6:  Walk for three minutes; run for four minutes
  • WEEK 7:  Walk for two minutes; run for five minutes
  • WEEK 8:  Walk for one minute; run for five minutes
  • WEEK 9:  Run for 15 minutes straight
  • WEEK 10: Run for 20 minutes straight
YIKES!  That sounds scary to me, but definitely doable.   People that have done this routine say that after running, they feel so much more energized and they want to keep going.  That's motivation for me!  I need all the energy and feel good stuff I can get.  I will let you know when I start this and track my progress and such.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I can pull this off.  It doesn't seem too hard, right?!  Just put on a little music, pretend you're running on the beach, and the 30 minutes will fly by.

No comments: